Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, August 21, 2015

24 hours and a life change

I don't know that if someone had told me 15 months ago that a four legged 2 year old lab would change our world for the better that I would have believed them. Around 24 hours ago this sweet child of a dog came into our lives. Around 24 hours ago our lives forever changed. In this short amount of time he has eased the worry of Jon and I. He has cleared the skeptics minds about his purpose and job. He is a true gift from God. Jack has a new best friend in this sweet dog. We have a new family member - although a certain brown dog is not too happy about this.

One of my biggest things that I struggle with is worry. I think that as moms we are naturally inclined to worry. When you have a child with a chronic illness or medical fragility, you worry just a bit more. You are always worried about if there is another child around that might be getting sick and how it will affect you child. For most Type 1 parents, we worry about their numbers getting too high and our child going into DKA or their numbers getting too low and them slipping into a coma. Even though I work outside of the home, I still have a never-ending life of doctor's appointments, school meetings, calls to the insurance company, homework, bills to pay, house chores to do. God has been reminding me lately that I need to work on my patience - that is not one of my spiritual gifts. He's also been really working on me and my worry. Just earlier today I was reminded of a verse in Matthew 6 when Christ was giving His sermon on the Mount. In Matthew 6:33-34, He tells us to seek His kingdom and not to seek out worry. He then says "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I feel that when I worry, I am trampling all over God's plan for my life and for Jack's - because much of my worry is over him.

I know that God has big plans for this little boy. Oh if I could just get a glimpse but I will try my best to wait and help him follow God's call on his life. I'm learning that in all my worry it never usually accomplishes anything. I have to step up, step out and ask God for guidance. Usually it's me saying "ok God. You and me. Together we got this." Probably not the most correct way to go about it but it works. I said a few months ago when Jon was promoted out of the blue, that it felt like God had grabbed us by the shoulders and turned us and told us to walk. I feel that that is the same thing that happened when Jack was diagnosed. I was told by his endocrinologist that I was one of the most calm parents he had seen in quite a while. I believe that is what happens when God lifts the veil over your eyes just a little to the path He is leading you down. For a long time after my dad died I was angry at God. Angry because He let my dad die. I can see now that it was my dad's path and that what he lived with for 20+ years and his death would benefit me greatly some 13 years later. I won't say that I was calm when Jack was diagnosed but I was completely at peace with it. It was another one of those "ok God. You and me." moments. I know that if I didn't know Christ as my Savior I probably wouldn't be as focused as I am on Jack and Jon.

It was one of those brighter lights on the path that led me to email a complete stranger with questions about Diabetic Alert Dogs. By doing that, we now have 2 wonderful friendships that we wouldn't have had otherwise. By doing that, we have a sweet and funny little lab sleeping in the floor helping Jack with his blood sugars. I am so thankful to God for opening all of the doors that needed to open for us to get this dog. For opening all of the doors to get the dog into the school with Jack. Without Him our lives would be nothing. Without Him we would be lost.

For now.

Kim

0 comments: