Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 21, 2009

A New Normal

Well Saturday is the first day of a new normal for Jack and I - and Jon as well. For the next year Jon is going to be spending every waking hour with someone from the Army in a place that is not home. For the next year Jack and I are going to be spending that same time together in our home - without Jon. A new normal is in store for us all. For me, I am becoming a single parent for at least 365 days. I guess one of the hardest parts of this is that Jon is going to miss so much with Jack. When Jon gets home, Jack will almost be 3. By then he is going to be a completely different child. For Jack, he is going to be with his mommy all the time (with the occasional rescuing from grandma). For Jon, he is going to the desert to do Lord only knows what and will be missing out on things at home. I know that I can email him everyday and I can send him video messages but it is just not the same.

I am going to miss him more than words. For the past 2 days with every breath I take I ask the Lord to take care of him and to bring him home to me. In the past few months I have not tried to think about the dreaded elephant in the room. When it comes to a war, I guess everyone tries not to think about the unthinkable. We all want them to come home the exact way they left here. Now that thme is here for him to leave I seem to be thinking a lot more "what if". Every time those thoughts pop up I have to remind myself that Jon will take good care of himself and that he has the Great Protector with him at all times.

A new kind of normal - it is going to be hard to adjust but thankfully I have a lot of family and friends here. A new normal that is only temporary - if you can call 365 days temporary. A new normal....a new normal

Is anything really normal?


4 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh Kim, I know the heartache of kissing your husband goodbye and all of the lingering what if's. Praying for you sista! You know the pain of separation that few outside the military understand.

Speaking from the perspective of "previous military child," Jack will do fine because he has two great, involved, and supportive parents. My dad would leave us something of his to "take care of" while he was gone. Another friend of ours purchased a daddy doll for her son from www.hugahero.com They take a picture of Jon and put it on a doll and can even add a voice box with a message from Jon. Definitely great thing for little ones to carry around.

Praying the time will pass quickly, for Jack, safety for Jon, and peace in your heart from the Lord!

Rachel said...

p.s. remember- normal is just a setting on the dryer :-)

Mama Kees said...

Thanks Rachel. It definitely is hard for those outside of the military to understand. Jon left Jack with a set of his dog tags to wear until he gets home. On Thursday we took him to Build a Bear and Jon and Jack made a bear and he has been sleeping with it since then. Although he did ask for dad tonight and it broke my heart. Thanks for the prayers.

Angela said...

Kim -- I cannot even imagine what you must be feeling right now! We will definitely be praying for all 3 of you. Let me know if there is ever anything we can do to help out. You know we're right down the road!